VOIP is a idea whose time has not quite come (for me at least)
VOIP stands for "Voice Over Internet Protocol" and is the new technology which allows you to make phone calls over the Internet. The leading company offering this service is Vonage, and many people are signing up and switching to the new service. I had heard there were initially some problems making sure 911 calls went through correctly but that the problems had been resolved for the most part.
I was attracted by an ad for another company's service called TrueVoice, offered by Earthlink, which is my Internet service provider. The ad suggested that I could get unlimited calling to anywhere in the US and Canada for only $24.95 per month (or 500 minutes for $14.95). When I looked into the details, though... well, they say that's where the devil is! In this case, there are two small problems: First, I would have to keep my existing phone service in order to use the new one, since my Internet service is DSL (over the phone line). In addition, I would have to install an "adapter" in order to use my existing telephones, and there was no mention of how extensions would be handled. Finally, and this is the deal-breaker for me, the new phone service would require a NEW phone number (while the DSL service would continue to use the old phone number), and ALL calls would require the dialing of 1 plus an area code. "NO!!!" said my wife.
As for the use of 911, this company provides for an "enhanced" 911 service. One has to register the exact location of the phone service, and arrangements are made to ensure that local emergency responders can determine where you are when you call them. Very important I would say. But... there is a rather bothersome catch: The 911 service would not be accessible during a power outage or if the Internet happened to be down. Hmmm. So, only emergencies that didn't affect electric power or Internet operation could be reported to authorities (such as police, fire department, etc. -- could be a problem in earthquake-prone California).
By the way, everyone should keep a old-type phone (the kind that doesn't have to be "plugged in" to an electric power source) for use in the case of a prolonged power outage. It can be kept in a closet and plugged into the phone line if and when it is needed. Businesses are especially in need of such a phone -- otherwise, no one can call them if a local power outage causes the lights to go out in the business's neighborhood. I learned that when working for a consultant that did business with many clients located all across the state and the nation.
So, I guess we'll have to pass on the new phone service, since it would work only if we kept the old one, would very possibly end up more expensive, would require dialing lots of extra digits on a new unfamiliar telephone number, and might not work in an emergency.
Otherwise, it might be a good deal -- if it weren't for these "small" problems. "Look before leaping," as the old saying goes!
--
Once we learn to touch peace, we will be healed and transformed. It is not a matter of faith, it is a matter of practice.
-Thich Nhat Hanh

<< Home