How to Preach a Prophetic Sermon and Get Away With It
by Rev. Robert Warren Cromey
NOTE FROM THE EDITOR: I think this is a sermon all preachers should read. In this brief comment I'd like to acknowledge that I realize others may have different choices than I do. I believe they should work as hard for theirs as I intend to do for mine. I happen to think that several of the Demo candidates would probably do a (much) better job than Bush has. Specifically, I would name Dean (my choice, on balance), Gephardt, Kerry, and even Lieberman. Or, perhaps 100 million of us could write in Gore. ;-)
I have refrained so far from saying all of this -- but I am saying it now! The election is less than ten months away, so it is time to let our judgment and opinions be known.
-- Revrickm
January 9, 2004
How to Preach a Prophetic Sermon and Get Away With It.
In this era of spirituality ( and what I call Woo Woo Episcopalianism) in the Episcopal Church, we seldom hear a prophetic sermon, a message supporting specific issues, social problems or candidates. It is not enough to end a sermon with let?s support social justice, act with love or follow Jesus. While all three of these prescriptions are sound and true, they are vague, amorphous and not helpful. They cry out for specificity, an concrete example of justice, an illustration of how to love, a direct action that show the following of Jesus' words or life.
Preachers are rightly fearful of offending some members of the congregation if they support the right to life or abortion legislation. Urging the rights of homosexuals in church and state will indeed offend some pledgers in the parish. Opposing or supporting the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan will draw fire from the relatives of military personnel and anti-war protesters.
The result of these fears is lame, vague and safe sermons that do not inspire people to action not stir the conscience of the listener. Such sermons are dull, thin and lacking in passion or urgency.
In my ministry I have been a strident supporter of African-American and homosexual rights from the 60s to the present. I preach strong sermons based on the New Testament, the law and just plain common sense, justifying full freedom for all people. I used to make people bad and wrong for disagreeing with me. I implied they were unchristian and certainly not followers of Jesus. Deep in my heart I do believe racism and sexism is evil.
However, I found a way to preach my specific calls for justice without condemning those who disagree with me. I began to realize that there is ambiguity in all moral situations, there are rational and emotional reasons that make us Christians hold a wide variety of opinions on the same topics. For instance, what is the most just economic system? Capitalism, communism, socialism have good and bad aspects to them. There are several sides to be taken seriously on abortion. None of them have the whole unerring truth.
Here is what I do. I amass my arguments for homosexual rights as I see them. God and Jesus loves all people in the creation. The Biblical proscriptions are subject to a verity of interpretations just as is the whole of the Bible. Gay and lesbian Christians and non-believers, whom I know are caring, loving compassionate human beings.
Then I say, "Now I am going to express my own opinion, my personal view as preacher and spiritual leader. What I have to say is not the opinion of God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, the Episcopal Church, our Bishop, our diocese, this parish or its members... It is my opinion. Please listen to it, evaluate it, consider it and then make up your own mind on the subject."
Then I make known my own specific opinion. "I believe homosexuals should have full freedom in church and society, including marriage and ordination and we should work to change the laws of the state and canons of the church to bring about this full freedom.?" I usually then re-iterate that "this is my own personal view and I hope you will develop yours. I am happy to talk with you any time about this or any issue."
I have used this method of preaching on many issues, including candidates I am going to vote for ______ for President, Governor and Mayor. I find people interested in my opinion. They do not feel put down or criticized or judged. People also know that I believe in the rightness of my convictions. They know that I honor their position while often disagreeing. Many people have given me positive feedback for this kind of preaching.
If preachers have the courage of their convictions and preach them in a loving, non-judgmental way, they will be heard and appreciated. Sermons will be interesting, specific and relevant to the daily life, thoughts and concerns of parishioners and all who listen.
[Robert Warren Cromey is a retired priest of the Episcopal Church. He served as rector of Trinity Church, San Francisco for 20 years. He and his wife live in the city.]

<< Home